We had a great time at my early-bird version of the Slow Food $5 Challenge last night. The menu changed again after I went to the Raleigh Downtown Farmers' Market and Whole Foods. Here's the main course of the feast I served for $4.77 a person. Check out the next picture for dessert: Peach Ice Cream Supreme and roasted pecans. And we had enough extra food for one or two more people.
- Cuban Black Beans, made with local bell peppers and onions from Wild Onion Farm, and local bay leaf from a friend
- herb-coated Montrechet cheese from Celebrity Dairy
- grilled and marinated okra (from Hilltop Farms) and summer squash
- spiced and roasted pecans
- Garlic Flatbread
- long-grain basmati rice
- Lemon verbena tea
- Peach Ice Cream Supreme, with peaches from Johnson Farms via Ball Berries and Produce
We had food left over, even though I forgot to serve the cucumber (also from Hilltop Farms).
I splurged on the pecans ($1.00 a serving) and the goat cheese (92 cents a serving). My friend Patrick surprised me by bringing a bottle of wine, which I'm not including in the total but that was much enjoyed.
Next week, look for more information about how to do a dinner like this yourself. It's fun, delicious, and wildly affordable.